Elton John Biopic Gets a Director
Commercials director Michael Gracey will helm 'Rocketman'
The forthcoming Elton John biopic Rocketman has found a director whose work has been widely seen, though he's not a marquee name. Michael Gracey, whos resumé includes commercials for T-Mobile and the Gap, will steer the project, Deadline Hollywood reports.
The film, written by Billy Elliot scribe Lee Hall, will track John's career from a five-year-old prodigy to a young man rebelling against his strict upbringing to one of the most successful and well-known musicians of his time.
"Everyone knows and loves Elton John's music, but the true story of his life is so incredible that it can only be described as a fantasy," Gracey said. "His journey from impossible dreamer to stardom and uncontrollable excess is something only a musical film can capture, and I'm so excited to be the one to tell his story."
Rocketman will reportedly include extravegant choreographed sequences to John's biggest hits, making use of Gracey's experience directing commercials with huge dance numbers.
Produced by John's own Rocket Pictures, the film is currently searching for actors to play the pianist as both a child and an adult. John himself said he'd love Justin Timberlake to portray him in the movie after catching the pop star in the David La Chapelle directed video for "This Train Don't Stop Here Anymore." Just recently, Timberlake employed his Elton John impression while hosting Saturday Night Live for the fifth time.
- Apr 23, 2014George R.R. Martin Addresses 'Game of Thrones' Rape Scene
Series creator apologizes to upset fans and explains how the character dynamics are different in his books
- Apr 22, 2014RZA on Raekwon: Wu-Tang Clan 'Need Him' on Next Album
The producer responds to rapper's harsh comments about direction of pioneering group
- Apr 22, 2014Quentin Tarantino Gets Back in the Saddle With 'Hateful Eight' Western
Director assembles cast of "Tarantino Superstars," including Samuel L. Jackson and Kurt Russell, for reading of once-abandoned script
- Apr 22, 2014'Game of Thrones' Recap: A Feast for Crows
The Purple Wedding's over, but the follow-up's a storytelling smorgasbord
- Apr 22, 2014'Mad Men' Recap: All in a Day's Work
Office politics, gender issues and musical chairs dominate a dense, slow-cooking episode
- Inside Linkin Park's Heavy New Album: 'We Need to Weed Out the Emo'
- George R.R. Martin Addresses 'Game of Thrones' Rape Scene
- Jack White Releases World's Fastest Record
- Prince Promises New Album and Remasters After Label Partnership
- Quentin Tarantino Gets Back in the Saddle With 'Hateful Eight' Western