Hamdan Al Abri
Given the funk-soul leanings of Al Abri’s band material, it’s a surprise when his EP kicks off in a haze of choppy samples, ethereal harmonies and punching piano. But despite the chaotic background, the record wears its most prized possession – Al Abri’s smooth yet haunting voice – on its sleeve. Whether he’s soaring over grubby bass on “LIFE” or fading in and out of the soundscape on “The Yearning,” he sounds like nobody else. Unfortunately, the record lacks much variety. It’s sleepy and conveys little of the energy Al Abri is capable of generating.
Key Tracks: “ LIFE,” “The Yearning,” “Here”
::artist::Hamdan Al Abri::/artist::
- Aug 27, 2014Q&A: Grandmaster Flash
The hip-hop pioneer talks to Rolling Stone on the eve of his Doha gig
- Aug 12, 2014Robin Williams, Oscar-Winning Actor and Comedian, Dead at 63 in Apparent Suicide
"He has been battling severe depression of late," says actor's publicist. "This is a tragic and sudden loss"
- Jul 27, 2014On the Cover: Yasmine Hamdan
Get a first look at the new issue of Rolling Stone Middle East
- Jul 06, 2014From Beirut to Britain: Postcards Hit the Road
The Lebanese folk-rock outfit on their U.K. tour and plans for their debut studio album
- Jul 05, 2014Dubomedy Team Take 'Clowns Who Care' Classes to Refugee Camp
Young Syrian refugees in Jordan receive performing arts and visual arts classes