Hamdan Al Abri
Given the funk-soul leanings of Al Abri’s band material, it’s a surprise when his EP kicks off in a haze of choppy samples, ethereal harmonies and punching piano. But despite the chaotic background, the record wears its most prized possession – Al Abri’s smooth yet haunting voice – on its sleeve. Whether he’s soaring over grubby bass on “LIFE” or fading in and out of the soundscape on “The Yearning,” he sounds like nobody else. Unfortunately, the record lacks much variety. It’s sleepy and conveys little of the energy Al Abri is capable of generating.
Key Tracks: “ LIFE,” “The Yearning,” “Here”
- Apr 20, 2014Prince Promises New Album and Remasters After Label Partnership
"Both Warner Bros. Records and Eye are quite pleased with the results of the negotiations," Prince reports
- Apr 20, 2014Jack White Releases World's Fastest Record
Live recording of "Lazaretto" pressed and ready for sale in less than four hours
- Apr 10, 2014Inside Linkin Park's Heavy New Album: 'We Need to Weed Out the Emo'
The group looked for the sounds that inspired nu-metal while making their June record 'The Hunting Party'
- Apr 08, 2014Bob Geldof's Daughter Peaches Dead at 25
The writer, TV presenter and model's death is called "unexplained and sudden" by police
- Apr 08, 2014'Game of Thrones' Season Premiere Recap: Say Hi to the Bad Guys
The Lannisters shall inherit the earth as the epic fantasy kicks off a bold fourth season