Hamdan Al Abri
Given the funk-soul leanings of Al Abri’s band material, it’s a surprise when his EP kicks off in a haze of choppy samples, ethereal harmonies and punching piano. But despite the chaotic background, the record wears its most prized possession – Al Abri’s smooth yet haunting voice – on its sleeve. Whether he’s soaring over grubby bass on “LIFE” or fading in and out of the soundscape on “The Yearning,” he sounds like nobody else. Unfortunately, the record lacks much variety. It’s sleepy and conveys little of the energy Al Abri is capable of generating.
Key Tracks: “ LIFE,” “The Yearning,” “Here”
::artist::Hamdan Al Abri::/artist::
- Jun 30, 2014Bobby Womack (1944-2014)
A dramatic life, a distinct voice: remembering the soul legend and his incredible seven-decade career
- Jun 24, 2014Read Tupac Shakur’s Heartfelt Letter to Public Enemy’s Chuck D
“Back in the dayz, on tour with u, I learned so much from what u did and how u did it,” Shakur wrote
- Jun 19, 2014Courtney Love on Dave Grohl: ‘It’s Time to Make Amends’
The singer reportedly made the statement after seeing a picture of Grohl during a talk at Cannes Lions
- Jun 17, 2014Deadmau5 on EDM: 'It'll Eventually F*** Itself So Hard'
Electronic producer talks about the scene's coming demise, EDM festivals and his new LP
- Jun 17, 2014N.W.A. Biopic Casts Dr. Dre, Eazy-E for 'Straight Outta Compton'
Delayed film based on pioneering hip-hop group set to begin principal photography within two months