Apt title, given the hair-metal-friendly chugging rhythm guitar and frenetic soloing that abound. The lyrics fit in too, concerned as they are with rising up against an unspecified enemy like a phoenix from the flames. When the basic material is this cheesy, you’ve really got to commit, and – to his credit – Mestarihi mostly does (only “Blazing Temple” is really unconvincing), wailing and shredding histrionically. Which makes for a fun, if one-paced, record with some genuinely impressive moments.
- Jun 30, 2014Bobby Womack (1944-2014)
A dramatic life, a distinct voice: remembering the soul legend and his incredible seven-decade career
- Jun 24, 2014Read Tupac Shakur’s Heartfelt Letter to Public Enemy’s Chuck D
“Back in the dayz, on tour with u, I learned so much from what u did and how u did it,” Shakur wrote
- Jun 19, 2014Courtney Love on Dave Grohl: ‘It’s Time to Make Amends’
The singer reportedly made the statement after seeing a picture of Grohl during a talk at Cannes Lions
- Jun 17, 2014Deadmau5 on EDM: 'It'll Eventually F*** Itself So Hard'
Electronic producer talks about the scene's coming demise, EDM festivals and his new LP
- Jun 17, 2014N.W.A. Biopic Casts Dr. Dre, Eazy-E for 'Straight Outta Compton'
Delayed film based on pioneering hip-hop group set to begin principal photography within two months